Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Continue to Mask Fuselage and Canopy

 
 
Over the last couple of days I have been working on masking the fuselage and canopy in preparation for starting the fiberglass.  I used some orange Duck Tape on the fuselage.  I put 3-layers of tape along the lower fuselage skin.  I put 1-layer of tape over the upper fuselage skin all as instructed on the drawings.
 
Next I set up my small work tables and brought out the canopy.  I placed the canopy on the tables and started to prep the support arms to received the foam blocks that will be epoxied in place on each arm.
 
In the shop I marked each foam block and then used a hack-saw blade to cut the wedge off of the end of each block.  It is necessary to cut the wedge off of the block so it will fit on the support arms.  The support arms have an angled bend in the to follow the support on the fuselage.  It was fairly easy to cut the foam with the hack-saw blade.
 
After cutting the wedge from the end of the foam blocks I placed them on the support arms and marked the outline of the support arm on each block.  I also marked the location of the hole for the support arm bolt.  Using a 7/8" hole saw I drilled each block for the support arm bolt.  After cutting the blocks to shape I taped them to the canopy support arms.
 
I sanded the support arms to prep the aluminum to receive the epoxy.  It then occurred to me that when the canopy is raised the lower part of the support arm will be exposed to view.  I had painted the upper portion of the support arms previously, but it did not occur to me at the time that the whole support arm would be visible.  I decided to paint the lower portion before I epoxy the foam blocks in place.  I taped and masked the support arms and after coaxing my can of Rustoleum Black Hammertone spray paint to work, I applied the paint.