Friday, March 30, 2012

Sand and Fill Fiberglass

 More of the same.  I set up the work tables and set up the canopy.  I sanded the filler material I applied 2-evenings ago. 
After sanding I mixed some more material.  This time I did not color it black.  I applied the filler material to the locations on each side of the canopy shroud that is sunken.  I hope this is the last time I will need to fill these voids.  Soon I will reinstall the canopy on the fuselage and see what I will need to do to make it pivot up and down properly.  From the pictures I have seen of finished aircraft I am sure there is going to be some rounding and shaping of the forward sections of the shroud at the pivot points.
This evening I had Arlene help me put the canopy back on the fuselage.  When lifting the canopy it hits the upper fuselage skin as it pivots.  I will need to remove the upper corner of each side.  It is also quite possible that I will have to remove some material on the most forward upper edge, so when the canopy it in the vertical position it does not hit the forward part of the upper fuselage skin.