Friday, March 23, 2012

Fiberglass Canopy Shroud

 I took off early today so I could work on the canopy fiberglass.  The temperature today is 70+ degrees.  It is a great day to fiberglass.  I pushed the fuselage to the center of the garage and pushed the tail out the garage door.  I sanded the canopy and canopy skirt where the fiberglass will be applied.
 I put Mylar packing tape over the duct tape and then rubbed a thin coat of wax over the Mylar tape.  I used some old mat board to make some flat pieces to support the fiberglass below the canopy support arms.
  I set up the small work tables and cut the side pieces and the long strips of fiberglass cloth that will go on top of the upper fuselage.  There are 10-side pieces (5-left side and 5-right side) of fiberglass.  There are 10-long narrow pieces to be installed on the top of the upper fuselage.  I was able to tape the fiberglass down to the cutting board and using the rotary cutter, prepare the strips for installation.
 I preceded to mix the fiberglass resin and add colorant.  I am coloring the resin black so when it is viewed through the canopy it will be black.  Following the instructions I brushed a coat of the mixed resin on the foam block, canopy Plexiglas and aluminum skirt on the right side of the fuselage.  I carefully wetted out the first layer of fiberglass cloth by placing the cloth between 2-sheets of 4 mil plastic sheeting.  Using a small brush I put resin on the cloth, then using a squeegee I spread the resin through the cloth.  It worked really well.  I then removed the upper layer of plastic and placed the layup on the fuselage.  With a little minor adjusting I was able to move and slide the piece of fiberglass cloth into place.  I then preceded to do the same thing on the left side.
After the fiberglass was laid-up on the sides and the top I laid-up a layer of peel-ply over the whole shroud.  After working on the project for 6-½ hours I cleaned up the messes, put the airplane and fiberglass supplies away and let the whole thing cure.