Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Epoxy Foam Blocks to Support Arms

 
This evening I attached the foam blocks to the canopy support arms.  I scuffed the aluminum support arms with 100 grit sand paper.  I then mixed some epoxy resin.  I added some flox to the resin.  The instructions say to add enough flox so the resin will not pour when the cup is tipped.  After preparing the resin/flox mixture I spread it on the back and bottom edge of the foam blocks.  I then slid the blocks into place on the support arms and clamped them.
 
Unfortunately, during the process I broke off the small end of the right block at the hole.  I put some resin/flox on the joint and pressed it in place.  I think it will be just fine.  After curing overnight I removed the clamps.  The blocks appear to be attached just fine.  Even the small broken piece seems to be attached very well.