Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Went Flying

Today I went flying.  I took off and everything went perfect.  I did 2-touch and goes at South Valley Regional then headed NW to the Tooele valley.  I did 2-touch and goes at the Tooele Valley airport and then headed south to Cedar Valley.  I engaged the autopilot and climbed to 7500’.  I flew around the Munitions Disposal Plant and then west.  I flew into a across Cedar Valley then to the east side of the Lewiston Peak and up the shore of Utah Lake back to the point of the mountain.  I entered the Salt Lake valley and flew NW to South Valley Regional.  I made one last landing then put the airplane away.  While doing so I noticed a sort of clicking sound coming from the nose wheel.  I checked and found the nose wheel fairing had been broken.  I don’t recall flopping the nose wheel on any of my landings but it obviously deflected enough to catch the rear and sides of the fairing and it broke out a chunk about 3-4” behind the tire.  I will remove the back portion of the fairing and do a fiberglass patch.  I will then take the fairing to Dave Wissinger and have him repaint the lower portion of the fairing.  I guess there will always be something to work on. 
I took some new photos of the airplane.  I need to come back and take better photos in the afternoon sun.