Monday, July 21, 2014

Resume Wheel Pant Repair

I have been gone for several days so there has been no progress towards the wheel pant repair.  There was a ‘freak’ storm in Rexburg, Idaho on Tuesday the 15th at 5:00 pm.  Our niece called to say her parent’s home (Bruce and Alynda Kusch who are living in Cuernavaca, Mexico where Bruce is serving as an LDS Mission President) had been flooded.  Jen was in tears because she and her husband and their kids were living in the home until next summer when the Kusch’s return from Mexico.  There was 7’+ of water in the basement where they kids slept and all of the kids furniture and belongs were in the basement.  Additionally, all of the Kusch’s furniture and belongings were stored in a large room in the basement which was now under water.  While I was at the airport the next day Jen called to ask if I could come up to help her.  The situation was too overwhelming for her to handle on her own.  Arlene called me, I ran home, packed a bag, grabbed some tools and was on my way to Rexburg.  I was in Rexburg until Saturday afternoon.  There were several places that got flooded.  It was a freaky 100 year storm and because Rexburg is not in a flood zone no one has flood insurance.  This is going to be an expensive repair for all who sustained damage.

I went to the airport today and sanded the fiberglass patch I put in the wheel pant last week.  I then added an additional layer of fiberglass to the inside of the repair area and put a layer of epoxy resin over the patch on the outside.  Tomorrow I will return and sand everything down.  I will probably have to use some body filler to fix any small voids in the surface.  
I also attached a carbon monoxide monitor card to the instrument panel.