Thursday, July 3, 2014

Flight To Wendover and Wheel Pants

On July 1st  I made a flight to Wendover and back.  I took Tim, my grandson along as a passenger.  We had a pleasant flight.  The airplane performed well.  After departing the Salt Lake Valley we started our climb over the lake.  We climbed to 8500 and all went well.  I was climbing at 200 VS to keep the head temperatures down.  It was a hot day, but we did just fine.  After spending about 30 minutes on the ground in Wendover we made the return flight.  It was nice to be able to fly out and back in about the same amount of time it takes to drive one way.

I continue to have background noise on the headset.  The noise occurs when I am at full throttle climbing out.  It diminishes when I am at cruise but really never goes away.  The noise begins with some popping sounds and then progresses until there is a lot of static and it is hard to hear radio communications.  It is most pronounced on the pilot headset.  I did some research and have found some information that indicates a solution maybe to adjust the mic levels on the SL-40.  Yesterday I made the suggested changes and plugged in my small shop vac.  I put the shop vac on the passenger seat, closed the canopy and turned it on.  This is one the tests another pilot used to check the background noise being picked up by the mic.  I called Unicom for a radio check and all went well.  I hope to get back into the air to do a flight test.
Yesterday I installed the wheel pants and fairings.  I also want to get back into the air to see if there is a change in performance.  Everyone I have talked to about this suggests the performance will be much improved.