Monday, July 7, 2014

Airspeed Problems

I went to the airport this morning to try and fly with the temps a little lower.  I made 3-take-off attempts before finally throwing in the towel.  The head temps were in line, but the airspeed indicator would not go above 48 knots.  Each time the airplane wanted to fly, but without 55 knots showing I aborted each take-off.  I taxied back to the hanger and got out the PAP.  I turned to the pitot test page, hooked up a syringe and attempted to pressurize the pitot tube.  NO JOY!.  Nothing shows on the airspeed indicator.  I blew into the tube with the same results.  I removed the top cowl to find the plastic pitot tubing had come off of the pitot tube at the pitot block.  This explains why I was unable to get up to 55 knots on the 4th.  Before reconnecting the tubing to the pitot tube I rerouted it over the engine under some hoses it had previously passed over so there is no tension on the tubing.  I think there may have been some tension and that is why it became disconnected in the first place.  I reattached the pitot tubing to the pitot tube and safety wired the connection.  I also ran the twisted safety wire to the screw holding the pitot tube in the pitot block and twisted it in place.  I ran a 1 minute test on the pitot system and it dropped less than 2 knots on the airspeed indicator.  Hopefully I will be able to get back into the air on Friday the 11th.