Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Repair Nose Wheel Fairing

Yesterday I discovered the bottom of the rear portion of the nose wheel pants had been broken out.  I removed that portion of the pant this morning to fully survey the damage.  It appears from the black on the corner that was broken out that I need to extend the rear opening a bit more to the rear of the pant. 
I cut a piece of blue foam to make a form for the shape of the bottom of the fairing.  I carved and sanded the foam to the proper shape than covered it with plastic.  I also marked where the original cutout  for the wheel was located.
I cut some fiberglass patches.  One to go over the blue foam with the edges to the inside of the hole.  This piece will be sort of a filler.  I then cut a piece that will go over the entire hole out to where I have sanded away the white paint.  I mixed  some fiberglass resin, saturated the pieces and put them in place on the fairing.  I will allow this setup to cure and then remove the foam and put another layer of glass inside of the fairing.