Thursday, July 3, 2014

Took Grandkids Flying

Today was going to be a fun day taking 3-of my grandkids for a short flight.  I took Taylor, my granddaughter up first.  We flew around the south end of the valley for about 20 minutes then returned to the airport.  We taxied to the hangar and I shut off the engine.  Taylor exited the aircraft and Kaleb climbed in.  I restarted the engine and the oil temp was quite high.  The cylinder heads were also very hot, over 240o. I taxied out to the runway and attempted a take-off.  I could not attain a 55 knot airspeed  with only 1500’ left on the runway so I aborted the take-off.  By then both CHTs were in the red.  I taxied back to the hangar and shut it down for the day.  The OAT was 36c and there was a hot wind blowing.  I think shutting the engine down for about 5 minutes and then restarting was too much for the cooling system.  The engine became too hot just sitting for that time, retaining heat instead of losing heat.  I am going to have to do something about that if I am going to continue flying during the hot weather.  I have checked the VansAirForce website and relocated some posts about a heat shroud between the muffler and the oil cooler.  I will be doing the 25 hour 1st oil change in the next few days and will see about installing a shroud while the lower cowling is off.