Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pick-Up and Inventory Engine and Propeller

 Yesterday I received a call from ABF Freight Systems saying they had a delivery for me.  They also said it weighs about 400 lbs and I would need some help getting it off of the truck.  I told them I would come to their dock and pick-it up myself.  I drove to ABF's dock in Salt Lake City in the early afternoon and they put the crate in my pick-up truck.  I drove home and started the  unloading process.  It was a pleasant afternoon so I was able to enjoy the weather.  That is not going to be the case for much longer.  I slid the crate to the rear of the truck and removed the lid.  What treasures I found inside.
There was a ton of paper inside.  I pulled it out and found some scat tube, heat reflective film and the fiberglass cooling shroud for the radiators and for the engine.  I also found the muffler and exhaust pipes in the mass of paper dunage.  I removed the 2x supports and removed the box containing the prop.  I opened the box.  It is a good looking propeller.  Next I removed the end of the crate.  I started pulling out some additional loosely packed bags and packages.  Gee, this is like Christmas.
I removed the end of the shipping crate to expose the engine package.  I pulled the work table on wheels I prepared for the engine.  I assumed I would be able to put the engine on this table and roll it around the garage to work on it until I am ready to install the Rotax on the airplane.  I think my assumption is going to work out very well.  I was able to pull the engine box out of the shipping crate onto the work table without too much difficulty.  I was then able to roll it into the garage.  I have placed the various parts in various locations for now.  I will do some relocating and sorting in the next couple of days.
With all of the excitement, I opened the engine box to peer at the Rotax.  There it is in all of its glory.
I continued to open boxes and bags and did a complete inventory.  To the best of my ability, it appears the only thing missing is a small part on back-order.  I will begin working on the installation soon.