Thursday, November 15, 2012

Firewall Forward Wiring

It was really cold today.  I opened the garage and moved the forward portion of the fuselage out onto the driveway.  The sun was shining, but the air was cold.  I wore  my shop coat which made the afternoon more tolerable.  I started by removing the canopy and rear window and turtle deck skins.
I also removed the upper fuselage skin and proceeded to work on the wiring.  I installed the WH-00063 Firewall Forward Wiring Harness 25-pin sub D connector to the control module.  I then routed the wires past the cushioned clamp next to the cooling fan and out the firewall grommet.  I could not get the harness into the cushioned clamp so I used a wire tie to connect it to the clamp. I also attached the WH-00062 power wiring harness to the rear of the Power and Switch module and routed the wires thru the fire grommet.  I wire tied the power wires to the bundle of wires going past the Com Supports  I put a clam shell on the EGT 25-pin sub D connector and attached it to the RV-12 EGT Exhaust Gas Temp Wiring Harness and routed the wires thru the wire tie holding the bundle to the cushioned clamp and out the firewall grommet.
It is really tight quarters in the instrument shelf area and I am having trouble routing these new harnesses thru the existing cushioned clamps and snap bushings.  I am holding the harnesses in place by wire tying them to other wires running in the same areas.
I cut a 4" length of PT ¼" ID tube and inserted one end of the ¼" heat resistant tubing for the pitot.  I cut the ¼" pitot tube from the fuselage and inserted the end into the splice tube.  I routed the pitot tube thru the grommet in the firewall.  I coiled it around the GPS antenna shelf.  I also routed the wires from the wiring harnesses
I separated the red, green and black twisted wires from the WH-00063 harness.  I cut them to length, stripped the ends and crimped them to the corresponding colored wires on the fuel pressure sensor.
I inserted the white wires and yellow wire with the spade connectors into the Connector Housing for the Rectifier Regulator.  They snapped into place and a gentle tug assured they were properly seated.  I plugged the connector into the rectifier.  That's all for today.